Table of Contents
Valentina Studio Features
Valentina Studio is your universal database tool. The features listed here are available in the Free version of Valentina Studio and are available for all supported databases.
Architecture and Design
- Plugin Architecture - Valentina Studio is designed for flexible extensibility with a plugin architecture. Each plugin adds its own functionality, can be enabled/disabled at any time using the Plugin Manager.
- Main Windows - you can have multiple main windows to better organize your workspace.
- TAB Windows - Each main window in Valentina Studio supports multiple tabs. You execute commands and actions through tabs such as changing their order by drag&drop, close one or more at a time, and so on.
- Dockable Views - Valentina Studio windows are dockable. They can float, or stick into any location of the main window.
- Toolbars - You can modify the Valentina Studio toolbar to create the best configuration for your needs.
- Prompt Tooltips - Valentina Studio tends to show a tooltip in any place, where some string does not fit visible space completely. This saves your time avoiding scrolling to read string.
- Information Tooltips - often Valentina Studio is able to show for objects a tooltip that has additional information, not visible from this place. This saves your time allowing not to switch to other views.
- Contextual Menus - Most user interface objects use the contextual menu to see actions that this object is able to do now.
- Inspector Window - allows you to see and change parameters of a selected object. Inspector mostly is used in the Schema Editor, but also it can be used with Data Editor to display picture previews and link diagram.
Valentina Studio implements database support through a set of database plugins. Read about each database plugin available for specific features for that database.
The Schema Editor serves for editing and viewing the database schemas. Also, the Schema Editor of Valentina Studio provides powerful possibility to modelling schema (reverse engineering) using diagrams.
Here are some key features of the Schema Editor:
- Column View - is similar to MAC OS X Finder column view. It allows concentrating on some specific aspects of schema, e.g. browsing fields of a table. Also, it gives a nice way to search through objects by name.
- Connection Management:
- multiple server connections
- connection over ssh tunnel
- keep a connection alive
- Cloud Examples - of ValentinaDB/SQLite databases (Sakila) and Valentina Projects with reports/forms/JS, which user can download and open in one click. Also, the user can hide examples and reload at any time.
- Create/Drop/Alter/View Tables, Views, [Calculated] Fields, Indexes, Constraints, Triggers, Links, Stored Procedures, Properties, Sequences, Types, Comments, …
- Diagram Editor - you can create several diagrams for a database. Working with Diagrams you can completely manage the schema of a database in a graphical way. Each diagram can keep one or few tables of a database, links between them, labels with your comments and so on. Diagrams are stored in the .vdb file as part of your database schema.
- Encrypt/Decrypt Objects - you can encrypt/decrypt a database, table or field.
- Multi-Table Browsing - you can select few tables, and get a list of all their fields in the single-column then filter it. This feature simplifies the work with databases with a big amount of tables and fields.
- Multi-Object Operations - you can select, for example, several tables or fields and do some action for this group, e.g. drop them, or change some settings.
- Several Views - Valentina Studio allows you to see and manage database schema with help of several views:
- Tree View - Windows users are used to such kind of view.
- Column View - this view is similar to Finder look of MAC OS X.
- Diagram View - this allows you to see tables and links in a visual way.
- Tree View - is a traditional hierarchical tree to which windows users are used. This view allows browsing properties of some object family easily. For example, if you click folder Tables you will see in the right pane columns with all properties of each Table. You can even sort this list by any its column.
- Warnings - if Valentina Studio recognizes something wrong in the database schema then it displays an object with a warning sign (!).
The Data Editor serves for editing or viewing data in the tables. Also, the Data Editor of Valentina Studio provides a powerful ability to edit data in related tables.
Here are the key features of the Data Editor:
- Browsing Records of a Table - you can browse records of a table in the spread-sheet style.
- Inline Editing - you can enter into the edit mode for a cell (field) by mouse double click.
- Picture Extended Editor - by double click on a cell you can open Extended Editor for this cell. If this is a Picture field you will get Picture Extended Editor, where you can resize pictures as you want, save/load picture from a file, see info about the picture.
- Text Extended Editor - by double click on a cell you can open Extended Editor for this cell. If this is a TEXT field you will get Text Extended Editor, where you can see and edit multi-line text.
- RecID/OID Fields View - you can hide/show these fields of a Valentina Table.
- Table Methods View - you can hide/show Table Methods (aka calculation fields). IF they are shown you see them in a light grey color, which means you cannot modify them.
- Filter of Records - powerful feature that allows filtering records of a Table easily without SQL query. You add green filter line, then type into its cell one or few conditions to be applied as a filter. Rules and syntax the same as in SQL query, e.g. f1 > 25, f2 LIKE 'P.T'.
- Sorting Records - you can easily sort records of the Table by single column by click on its header. Next click will change the direction of sorting from Ascending to Descending, and next click removes sorting by this column at all. First 2 states are indicated by small triangle icon in the column header.
Related Data Editor
This is a unique feature to Valentina Studio. It allows browsing linked records of 2 tables, link/unlink one or even many records by a single mouse click, do SET operations on linked records.
Key features of Related Data Editor:
- Any Link kind - related Data Editor is able to work with two tables linked by any kind of Link: Foreign Key, ObjectPtr, BinaryLink.
- Any Cardinality - the Link can have any cardinality: 1:1, 1:M, M:M
- SET Operations - you can easily do SET of operations such as Union, Intersect, Difference, Symmetric Difference on a group of records of T2 linked to records of T1.
- Link-Mode View - you can easily switch between different modes to see all records of T2, only T2 records linked to selected records of T1, unlinked records…
SQL Editor allows to execute any SQL query against your database (local or remote) and see results in the spreadsheet.
The SQL Editor includes the following features:
- Execute Multi statement Quires - you can execute a script, that contains one or more SELECT statements, for each statement the separate spreadsheet with a result will be shown.
- Auto-completion - while you type SQL command, Valentina Studio shows you a list of possible completions.
- Syntax Coloring - SQL Editor uses colors for your SQL command.
- TABs Windows - Result of SQL command is opened in a new TAB window. You can return to the first TAB-panel, modify SQL command and open its result in a new TAB.
- Console View - displays information about execution of SQL command: time, errors, …
- Controls for Cursor Mode - you have 3 popup menus to choose between client-side or server-side cursor, as well as lock types for a server-side cursor, and if it should allow Forward Only or Random navigation.
- Recent Queries - contains list of previous successful SQL commands.
- Favorite Queries - you can manage set of favorite SQL queries.
- SQL Templates - you can choose the template for any SQL command and modify it to your purposes.
- Function Browser - you can find and use the built-in or custom function from the special dialog.
- Export Results - you can export selected records into a text file on disk.
SQL Builders allow visually using drag and drop, mouse clicks and typing into spreadsheet build quite complex SQL queries.
Of Text Files
Import/Export dialogs allow you to import some text file into a table, or export table into a text file.
- Any Encoding - you can work with text files of any encoding UTF-8, UTF-16, Latin-1, Cyrillic-win, …
- Any Column Delimiter - you can specify a character to be a column delimiter in the text file.
- Any Line Delimiter - you can specify a character to be a line delimiter in the text file.
- Preview Pane - you can see values of few first records of text file parsed according to current settings.
- Field Mapping you can by drag and drop specify what columns of text file go into which fields of the table on import. Or fields of the table and their order to be exported.
Of ODBC Datasource
Valentina Studio has a powerful ODBC import wizard, as well as the ability to export data into an ODBC data source.
- Table Mapping - you can specify which tables to use for import from the ODBC data source.
- Field Mapping - you can specify which fields to use from the ODBC data source.
- Auto-Creation - Valentina Studio is able to take some ODBC data source, and create the whole Valentina database with table, fields, and records that mirror it.
- Cloning Database - you can clone a database. It is possible to clone only its structure or data also.
- Compact of Database - you can compact a database, table or field to reduce its size.
- Defragmentation - allows executing defragmentation of a Valentina database, table, field.
- Diagnose - you can diagnose Database / Table / Field.
- SQL Dump/Load - you can produce SQL dump of the whole database or a separate table. Also, you can build a new database using this dump.
- XML Dump/Load - you can produce XML dump of the whole database or a separate table. Also, you can build a new database using this dump.
- Reindexing - allows to reindex a Database / Table / Field.