Table of Contents
Schema Editor - Diagram View
You can create and conceptualize databases as visual diagrams or schemas. Further, you can also conceptualize the database constraints and other properties to create a script that will in turn, transform your database to match the visual logic.
Valentina Studio Pro v5.0 introduces Diagram Editor to create, design and overview database schemas.
Using Diagrams of Valentina Studio you can:
- design both local and server databases.
- share diagrams with team if database is server side.
- design database schema without any changes in the database structure:
- create new objects;
- change existed objects;
- mark existed objects to be deleted.
- get all changes as single SQL script …
- OR apply this script to the database.
- reverse engineering.
- design of every kind of objects, that presents in database.
- use automatic layout to place objects.
- use grid and guides to build coherent composition of objects.
- change colors of objects.
- add labels, comments, and pictures to diagram.
- make great visual presentation of the database schema.
When this feature can be useful.
Developer needs to create a new database. He can design database schema and object properties on diagram instead of using pen and paper. He can use Diagrams of Valentina Studio Prop for this purpose! Diagrams allows to design database objects without saving it into database. For this needed to make next steps:
- create, or open, database;
- create new diagram;
- add needed objects on the diagram;
After that diagram can be saved, and closed, and designing can be continued later.
When all objects of database schema will be created, and it's properties will be defined developer can apply changes to the database. And all virtual objects will comes real.
Developer needs to change schema of an existed database - add or remove some objects, change properties of some objects. To solve this problem he can create a new diagram and do the following steps:
- add to the diagram objects that he want to change;
- change properties of this objects using constructor of the objects;
- create models of objects, that should be added to the database;
- add to the diagram objects, that should be removed from the database, and mark them 'to delete', using gui representation of the objects;
Now developer can apply all changes to the database or save them as “synchronisation script”.
Advantage of using diagrams is ability to make virtual changes, without applying them to real database objects, until is not needed.
Developer needs to show database structure to the partner or customer. To solve this problem he can create a new diagram and do the following steps:
- add to the diagram objects that he want to show;
- add to the diagram custom comments, labels or pictures;
- save diagram into database.
Now, every one who has access to the database can review this diagram, and make changes, if needed.
Let's take a look on the diagram page
There are six major areas:
- manager of tabs;
- object inspector;
- view inspector;
- working area;
- object constructor;
Let's consider more detailed what you can do using them.
- save all changes to the file
- apply all changes to the database
- discard all changes
- find objects on the diagram
Manager of Tabs
- open a browser of diagrams
- create a new diagram
- open a diagram
- open a recent diagram
- to switch between opened diagrams
Using object inspector, you can add a new object to the diagram and design it:
Also you can browse existed database objects, and add them to the diagram also:
To make you diagram more informative, you can add helper graphic objects such as:
There are three tabs and diagram navigator in the view inspector. Using tabs you can do
- change name of the diagram
- change color gamma
- change style of objects
- change style of links
- change background color
- auto-place objects
- highlight changes
- show all children
- show borders of selection
- show grid
- show guidelines
- snap to grid
In the working area you can place objects - this is exactly diagram.
In the object constructor you can change selected object:
- change properties
- add child objects
- remove child objects
- change properties of child objects
- browse sql definition of the object