Table of Contents
Testing Valentina Studio Pro Features in Free Edition
You can try PRO features within the free Valentina Studio. Some of these features are limited until you upgrade to the full version of Valentina Studio PRO. This page describes how exactly you can try a PRO feature in the FREE version.
Valentina Studio PRO adds the following major features (in alphabet order):
- Data Transfer
- Form Editor
- Forward Engineering in Diagram Editor
- Keyboard Shortcuts Modify
- Object Colors
- Report Editor
- Query Editor
- Schema Caching
- Schema Editor: Drag & Drop of objects.
- Schema Editor: Expand/Collapse sub-tree by Option/Alt click.
- Schema Snapshot
- SQL DIFF
- SQL Editor: Static Analyzer, Advanced SQL Editing, SQL Parameters Binding, SQL Formatting …
- Source Control
- … and more minor features…
The FREE version refers to Valentina Studio, which you can download and use for free.
The PRO version refers to Valentina Studio Pro, the commercial upgrade from Valentina Studio.
SQL Editor allows you to type and execute a SQL query, see result of the query and other information about query (errors, warnings, timing, …).
Table Alias Autocompletion
With this feature SQL Editor is completed with the following advanced query editing actions:
- Duplicate Line
- Move Element Left
- Move Element Right
- Move Statement Down
- Move Statement Up
- Move Line Down
- Move Line Up
This feature allows you to format the text of the SQL query.
- FREE: Formatting can be done once after each start.
- PRO: Formatting can be applied an unlimited number of times.
This feature allows you to edit the result of SQL query.
- FREE: View the result of the SQL query.
- PRO: Edit result records and apply changes.
Query Static Analyzer
This feature allows you to find possible errors (unresolved identifiers, not finished commands) in major SQL commands.
Execute Current Statement
This feature allows you to execute the statement with a text cursor.
"From Code" Operation
Removes quotes and escapes in the text copied from e.g. C# or PHP into SQL Editor, in order to get a clean SQL query ready for execution within Valentina Studio.
- FREE: Transformation can be done once after each start.
- PRO: Transformation can be applied an unlimited number of times.
Unsafe Commands Protection
UPDATE and DELETE commands without WHERE clause modifies the whole table and can lead to the data loss if used by mistake, so they are considered unsafe.
Valentina Studio analyzes queries that are going to be executed and shows confirmation dialog if some of them are unsafe.
- FREE: Unsafe commands are executed without any check.
- PRO: Valentina Studio Pro asks if an unsafe command is used intentionally.
Data Editor is a tool for editing and viewing data in tables and related tables.
This feature allows you to define formatting for table values.
Go to parent record
This feature allows you to navigate to a parent record using the value of a Foreign Key or ObjectPtr field.
The layouts feature allows you to tune how the table content is displayed.
- FREE: Select columns for show or change their order, changes are not saved anywhere
- PRO: Ability to save changes made to columns list and their order as a named layout
This feature allows you to update multiple rows at once.
- FREE: Update only one record
- PRO: Ability to update the value for all shown records in some column.
This feature allows you to save data shown in the Data Editor in various formats (Excel, CSV, SQL, XML, JSON) or copy to clipboard.
This feature allows you to copy records between two different databases. This feature is different from simply importing data.
Use the Data Transfer Wizard to choose one database (MySQL/PostgreSQL/SQLite/Valentina/ODBC) to be a 'sources' database. Then choose another database (MySQL/PostgreSQL/SQLite/Valentina) to be a 'target' database. You can then specify the mapping of source/target tables and fields and load records from db1 to db2.
- FREE: Loading of records does not actually happen.
- PRO: Use all features of Data Transfer.
This feature helps you to find the error message by its code for a particular database engine.
Taking existing databases with tables and other objects, and creating new diagram(s) is referred to as reverse engineering. You can create diagrams and add new tables, and link together with existed tables. You can save such diagrams.
- You can draw a totally new diagram(s) in an empty database and save them to disk inside of this empty database.
- FREE: You cannot ask Valentina Studio to produce SQL commands, which will create these new objects.
- PRO: Buttons to generate SQL scripts are enabled. You can see that scripts. You can execute them against different databases. You can copy-paste them into your application code.
Keyboard Shortcuts Modify
Keyboard shortcuts give fast access to the most used actions of Valentina Studio.
- FREE: You can view and use the default shortcut set.
- PRO: You can modify shortcuts and create own sets of shortcuts.
Valentina Project (*.vsp)
Valentina Project file allows you to organize different objects into a single project. In particular, Valentina Reports, JS Scripts, Queries, etc. These objects can be organized into a hierarchy of folders and you can see the project tree.
Valentina Project file can be under Valentina Server to provide multi-user access to its items and jobs.
Report Editor is a very major feature of the PRO version. Actually, it is part of Valentina Reports technology. Report Editor allows you to design reports visually.
- FREE: You can design one and even a few reports to play with, but they are not saved to disk. Valentina's project file .vsp always will be empty.
- PRO: You can save your job to disk.
Read also FAQ “Can I test before buy?” on this page.
Form Editor allows you to design input forms for your data sources visually.
- FREE: You can design one and even a few forms to play with, but they are not saved to disk. Valentina's project file .vsp always will be empty.
- PRO: You can save your job to disk.
You can write JS scripts and keep them in a Valentina Project file.
Valentina Studio provides integration of JS-engine to GUI objects of QT classes, and to own DB-related objects/classes.
This feature allows you to build SQL queries visually, working directly with tables and links that are a part of the query you want to create. If you aren't a SQL pro, you will find this feature invaluable!
- FREE: You can create SQL queries, but you cannot copy-paste them or save. So you still can get help from this tool, even in the free edition.
- PRO: No limitations for saving or copy-pasting the SQL query that you generate.
Drag and Drop of Objects
Drag and drop in the Schema Editor provide a simple visual mechanism that users can use to copy the schema objects within one database or even between different databases.
- FREE: You can drag and drop the object one time after each start.
- PRO: No limitations for copying the objects.
Valentina Studio loads the structure of database objects and their properties on demand and store in the runtime cache. But the database structure usually doesn't change frequently as usual. This feature allows us to store the schema cache and use it when it is necessary.
- FREE: Schema cache is removed when a database is closed.
- PRO: Schema cache is saved in a file on disk, restored, and used when the database is opened the next time which speeds up opening and navigation.
In the Tree View of Schema Editor, you can do Option/Alt-click on an item to expand/collapse all its sub-items.
Valentina Studio Pro allows you to mark objects with specific colors. You can specify a color for Connection/Db/Table. After this, all tools related to this object and its sub-objects will be colorized. This allows easy differing, for example, Deployment/Development databases.
Valentina Studio Pro allows you to save database schema in a structured format using the Schema Snapshot tool
The Source Control feature of Valentina Studio Pro provides an ability for database development using any VCS.
Compare schemas of two databases to find differences and produce SQL scripts that can transform the first schema into the second. Also, it is possible to apply changes directly to the first database.
- FREE: You can see only the number of found differences for all Tables, Links, but you do not see details by each table, and you cannot save SQL scripts.
- PRO: All features available! You see detailed differences, produce SQL scripts, and apply changes to the database(s).
SQL Search allows you to find database objects on a server or in local storage very quickly. Objects can be located either by name or by property value, according to the filter and selected matching pattern.
Create Dump Wizard
Creates a dump of the whole database or selected objects.
Imports CSV file to a table.
- PRO: Ability to save the mapping between CSV columns and table fields in an external file and load it later.
- FREE: You can work with workspaces (create, delete, modify) but changes are not saved to disk.
- PRO: All features available!