Table of Contents
Valentina Studio Features
Architecture and Design
- Plugin Architecture - Valentina Studio is designed as an executable with set of plugins. Each plugin adds own functionality, can be enabled/disabled at any time with the help of plugin Manager.
- Main Windows - you can have several main windows to better organize your workspace.
- TAB Windows - Valentina Studio allows to have set of TAB-windows in the main window. You have reach set of commands and actions to do with TAB-windows: change their order by drag&drop, close single or many of them, an so on.
- Dockable Views - Valentina Studio has windows that are dockable, i.e. you can make them floating, or stick into any location of the main window.
- Toolbars - Valentina Studio have the set of toolbars, which you can show/hide to get the best configuration for your needs.
- Prompt Tooltips - Valentina Studio tends to show a tooltip in any place, where some string do not fit visible space completely. This saves your time avoiding scrolling to read string.
- Information Tooltips - often Valentina Studio is able to show for objects a tooltip that has additional information, not visible from this place. This saves your time allowing not to switch to other views.
- Contextual Menus - in a lots of places and for a lots of objects you can use contextual menu to see actions that this object is able to do now.
- Inspector Window - allows you to see and change parameters of a selected object. Inspector mostly is used in the Schema Editor, but can be used with Data Editor also to display picture previews and link diagram.
Valentina Studio can connect to one or several database servers such as: Valentina Server, mySQL, PostgreSQL. You can do administration job for a database Server with the help of Server Admin.
- Add/Drop/Alter Users - you can add/drop/alter users (roles), their logins, passwords and other parameters.
- Server State - you can see how many users are connected, what databases they use, how many cursors they have, …
- Disconnect User(s) - with help of Admin Browser. Note, that only ADMIN of VSERVER can do this.
- Edit Server Parameters - you can change server configuration.
- Manage Logs - you can browse server logs, remove old files, or watch live the state of active log file (TAIL mode).
- Register/Unregister Database - this feature allows you to add an existed Valentina Database file(s) to a working Valentina Server without stopping it. Or you can remove database from VServer without stopping it.
- Register/Unregister Project - this feature allows you to add an existed Valentina Project file to a working Valentina Server without stopping it. Or you can remove project from VServer without stopping it.
- Several Views - Valentina Studio allows you to see and manage database schema with help of several views:
- Tree View - windows users are used to such kind of view.
- Column View - this view is similar to Finder look of MAC OS X.
- Diagram View - this allows you to see tables and links in visual way.
- Diagram Editor - you can create several diagrams for a database. Working with Diagrams you can completely manage schema of database in graphical way. Each diagram can keep one or few tables of database, links between them, labels with your comments and so on. Diagrams are stored in the .vdb file as part of your database schema.
- Tree View - is a traditional hierarchical tree to which windows users are used. This view allows easy browse properties of some object family. For example if you click folder Tables you will see in the right pane columns with all properties of each Table. You can even sort this list by any its column.
- Column View - is similar to MAC OS X Finder column view. It allows concentrate on some specific aspects of schema, e.g. browse fields of a table. Also it gives nice way to search through objects by name.
- Multi-Object Operations - you can select, for example, several tables or fields and do some action for this group, e.g. drop them, or change some settings.
- Multi-Table Browsing - you can select few tables, and get list of all their fields in the single column then filter it. This feature simplifies the work with databases that have big number of tables and fields.
- Create/Drop/Alter/View Tables and Views, [Calculated] Fields, Indexes, Constraints, Triggers, Links, Stored Procedures, Properties, Sequences
- Encrypt/Decrypt Objects - you can encrypt/decrypt a database, table or field.
- Warnings - if Valentina Studio recognizes something wrong in the database schema then it displays an object with warning sign (!).
- Browsing Records of a Table - you can browse records of a table in the spread-sheet style.
- Inline Editing - you can enter into the edit mode for a cell (field) by mouse double click.
- Picture Extended Editor - by double click on a cell you can open Extended Editor for this cell. If this is a Picture field you will get Picture Extended Editor, where you can resize picture as you want, save/load picture from file, see info about picture.
- Text Extended Editor - by double click on a cell you can open Extended Editor for this cell. If this is a TEXT field you will get Text Extended Editor, where you can see and edit multi-line text.
- RecID/OID Fields View - you can hide/show these fields of a Valentina Table.
- Table Methods View - you can hide/show Table Methods (aka calculation fields). IF they are shown you see them in light grey color, what means you cannot modify them.
- Filter of Records - powerful feature that allows easy to filter records of a Table without SQL query. You add green filter line, then type into its cell one or few conditions to be applied as filter. Rules and syntax the same as in SQL query, e.g. f1 > 25, f2 LIKE 'P.T'.
- Sorting Records - you can easy sort records of the Table by single column by click on its header. Next click will change direction of sorting from Ascending to Descending, and next click remove sorting by this column at all. First 2 states are indicated by small triangle icon in the column header.
Related Data Editor
Unique Revolutionary feature, introduced by Valentina Studio. It allows to browse linked records of 2 tables, link/unlink one or even many records by a single mouse click, do SET operations on linked records.
- Any Link kind - related Data Editor is able work with two tables linked by any kind of Link: Foreign Key, ObjectPtr, BinaryLink.
- Any Cardinality - the Link can have any cardinality: 1:1, 1:M, M:M
- SET Operations - you can very easy do SET operations such as Union, Intersect, Difference, Symmetric Difference on group of records of T2 linked to records of T1.
- Link-Mode View - you can easy switch between different modes to see all records of T2, only T2 records linked to selected records of T1, unlinked records…
SQL Editor allows to execute any SQL query against your database (local or remote) and see results in the spread sheet.
- Execute Multistatement Quires - you can execute script, that contains one or more SELECT statements, for each statement will be shown the separate spreadsheet with result.
- Auto completion - while you type SQL command, Valentina Studio will show you list of possible completions.
- Syntax Coloring - SQL Editor will use colors for your SQL command.
- TABs Windows - Result of SQL command is opened in a new TAB window. You can return back to the first TAB-panel, modify SQL command and open its result in a new TAB.
- Console View - displays information about execution of SQL command: time, errors, …
- Controls for Cursor Mode - you have 3 popup menus to choose between client-side or server-side cursor, as well as lock types for server-side cursor, and if it should allow Forward Only or Random navigation.
- Recent Queries - contains list of previous successful SQL commands.
- Favorite Queries - you can manage set of favorite SQL queries.
- SQL Templates - you can choose the template for any SQL command and modify it to your purposes.
- Function Browser - you can find and use the built-in or custom function from special dialog.
- Export Results - you can export selected records into text file on disk.
Java Script Editor
Java Script Editor allows to open, edit, save Java Script files and execute that scripts.
SQL Builders allows visually using drag and drop, mouse clicks and typing into spread sheet build quite complex SQL queries.
Of Text Files
Import/Export dialogs allow you import some text file into a table, or export table into a text file.
- Any Encoding - you can work with text files of any encoding UTF-8, UTF-16, Latin-1, Cyrillic-win, …
- Any Column Delimiter - you can specify a character to be a column delimiter in the text file.
- Any Line Delimiter - you can specify a character to be a line delimiter in the text file.
- Preview Pane - you can see values of few first records of text file parsed according current settings.
- Field Mapping you can by drag and drop specify what columns of text file must go into which fields of table on import. Or fields of table and their order to be exported.
Of ODBC Datasource
Valentina Studio have powerful ODBC import wizard, as well as ability to export data into a ODBC data source.
- Table Mapping - you can specify which tables to use for import from the ODBC data source.
- Field Mapping - you can specify which fields to use from the ODBC data source.
- Auto-Creation - Valentina Studio is able take some ODBC data source, and create the whole Valentina database with table, fields and records that mirror it.
- Cloning Database - you can clone a database. It is possible to clone only its structure or data also.
- Compact of Database - you can compact a database, table or field to reduce its size.
- Defragmentation - allows to execute defragmentation of a Valentina database, table, field.
- Diagnose - you can diagnose Database / Table / Field.
- SQL Dump/Load - you can produce SQL dump of the whole database or a separate table. Also you can build a new database using this dump.
- XML Dump/Load - you can produce XML dump of the whole database or a separate table. Also you can build a new database using this dump.
- Reindexing - allows to reindex a Database / Table / Field.