Table of Contents
Data Editor - Related Table Mode
Valentina Studio offers you a unique built-in feature - Related Table mode, while you working in the Data Editor.
When you open a Data Editor for a table that have at least one Link to other tables (self-recursive link also) the Data Editor will show two views for two tables. One view is located in the top part of window, second in the bottom part. Between these two parts exists separator which you can use to resize parts.
This tool allows you do amazing things without any programming and complex SQL writing!
- DEVELOPERS can easy check that their code have correctly added records into two tables and linked them.
- USERS/DEVELOPERS can easy investigate records and their links in the not own databases.
- USERS can easy analyze records and their links, do SET operations (AND, OR, XOR, DIFF) on sub-sets of child records for few parent records.
It is easy to see that the Top Editor is 100% the same as we use for browsing of a single table. The Bottom Editor also is the same single table Editor, but with additional menus and buttons in the its toolbar.
You can manage the view of Related Editor using special buttons in the toolbar of the main table Editor:
- Revert Table – exchange tables: the table shown in the top Editor will shown in the bottom, and the bottom table will be shown in the top Editor.
- Hide Related Table – hides or show the bottom table view.
Related Table Menu
This menu shows one or more tables linked to the tables displayed in the Top Editor. On picture you can see table Person in the top Editor and table Phone to be in bottom Editor.
In the toolbar of Related Editor present some controls that allow you do comprehensive work with linked records. To get more details on this see:
For all supported relational databases (Valentina DB, mySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, …) this tool supports Foreign Key links. For Valentina Database it also works with ObjectPtr and Binary Links.
ForeignKey and ObjectPtr can be of 1:1 and 1:M types. A BinaryLink can be also M:M type.