1. Sean McMullen
  2. Valentina Studio
  3. Wednesday, November 28 2018, 08:37 PM
  4.  Subscribe via email
Hi there. I am working with a developer who is building a custom database for the investment firm I work with. It will mainly be used for client portfolio analytics. We ran into a snag where the database development software he is using (Maria db) does not allow for summary rows to appear at the top of the detail rows (his software does the bottom only), so we need to find another tool to integrate or utilize. Does your software allow for this? I will also need some fairly detailed financial reports in tabular format. I need to allow report input parameters to have defaults and lists that are the result of database queries. Does Valentina provide this functionality?

Thank you for your time!
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Ruslan Zasukhin Accepted Answer
We going to implement now PIVOT TABLE control for reports.
Comment
  1. one week ago
  2. Valentina Studio
  3. # 1
Ruslan Zasukhin Accepted Answer
Also, we started to implement a summary calculation in the group header without the need to use a subreport, that will be more efficient. We expect it to be available in a few days.

This feature is implemented in v8.7.2, which is available now.
Comment
  1. one week ago
  2. Valentina Studio
  3. # 2
Sergey Pashkov Accepted Answer
Hello Sean,

1. Yes, there is such JavaScript event (pre_place), and it is possible to execute queries, but it is not possible to get the result from the query execution in the current implementation, although we planned it. Maybe the subreport can be used for it? Or stored procedure? A small example would help.

2, 4. - No (the number of columns is always fixed).

3. Is it a master-detail report with multiple levels of nesting? If yes - the subreports can be nested.
Or does it require interaction with the user?

5. Yes, the report can have input parameters with defaults. The parameter can be preprocessed in JavaScript and inserted into the source query of the report. Like in the first question, it is not possible to get a result from the query in the JavaScript code, only use the source query of the report (defined at the design time or passed programmatically using one of the ADKs).
Comment
  1. one week ago
  2. Valentina Studio
  3. # 3
Sean McMullen Accepted Answer
Thank you everyone for your responses. My Developer asked me to pass along the following questions as well:

1. When the report runs, we have to do some special processing that requires running queries and executing logic for each row of data. This would be an event-driven architecture where the code would be run inside of an event - something like BeforeInsert(). Is this possible?
2. Can a report swap rows and columns?
3. Drill-down capabilities?
4. Can you do pivot tables?
5. Can you do custom coded input parameters that will require queries and logic?

Thanks for your time!
Sean
Comment
  1. one week ago
  2. Valentina Studio
  3. # 4
Pierce DuBrock Accepted Answer
Also, we started to implement a summary calculation in the group header without the need to use a subreport, that will be more efficient. We expect it to be available in a few days.

Me likey.
Comment
Comment
Thank you, Scott! Yes, currently it is possible to do with the subreports.
Comment
Scott Accepted Answer
First, I recommend developing in Valentina DB versus MariaDB. The benefits of developing in native VDB and then reporting using Valentina Reports far out weigh any costs associated with VDB versus a free DB. There is so much more advanced functionality in Valentina DB versus MariaDB. (IMHO).

Second, using VReports you can use sub_reports in your reporting solution solving for the summary headers you need. Basically, place the sub report above the group with it's own query providing the summary data computation. Pass relevant parameters amongst the regions in order to maintain data integrity. Not the most elegant method, but it works.

You could also pass in whatever variables you need and then manipulate them using Javascript. This makes Valentina Reports incredibly powerful.

As a financial advisor myself, the illustration software I used was not customizable to my needs so I developed my own. It took a little trial and error, but I came up with something similar to what you're referring to.

Develop your DB in Valentina DB and then produce your reports in Valentina Reports. You will never look back at traditional DBs again.
Comment
Sean McMullen Accepted Answer
Hi Sergey,

I would want a summary in each group header, with the constituents listed below. So for example when looking at asset classes for a client's investments, I'd like to have the group header be the total weight of their portfolio in US equity, with the constituents below being sub-asset classes (Income equity, large cap growth, large cap value, mid cap, small cap, etc.) and their respective weights, and then those be group headers for the individual investment funds that make them up.with the weights of the individual funds. Is that possible?

If the answer to that is yes, let me know and I'll get back to you on the second one. I look forward to seeing your response in the morning.

Thanks!
Sean
Comment
Hello Sean,

So it is necessary to place summary in the report header? Or group header?

We’ll check it in the morning (it’s midnight here)

As for the second - could you give a small example, please ?
Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.

Categories

Announcements & News
  1. 0 subcategories
Valentina Studio
  1. 2 subcategories
Valentina Server
  1. 4 subcategories
Valentina Database ADK
  1. 0 subcategories
Valentina Reports ADK
  1. 0 subcategories
Other Discussions