1. Manuel Meier
  2. as Valentina DB Server
  3. Monday, October 11 2021, 02:07 PM
  4.  Subscribe via email
Dear Valentina Community

I know, this is not the right place to ask this question, but this Forum is my last hope.

We’re using a software called Dental Lab XP by a Swiss company named “YSD inc.”. The Software uses Valentina-DB as a database solution and we’ve been experiencing the same issues for a while:
- When multiple users work with the software and any of the connected clients runs a function that reads or writes anything from or to the DB, there is a small freeze for about 5-10 seconds. This freeze is not just happening on the client that executed the function, but on all clients currently running the software within the network.
- The software developer has stated that this behaviour is impossible and has never been heard of.
- The small freezes get longer and longer as more clients connect. This can be mitigated by manually restarting the valentina-service on the windows 2012 R2 server every once in a while (the reason this works is why I'm trying to find help in this forum).
- Recently, we’ve connected an external PC to our domain. If this client now executes the same function in Dental Lab XP that reads or writes any data to valentina-DB, his waiting time remotely is about 4 minutes - the entire PC is locked up during the execution of the query - but in this remote case, our internal clients don't lock up.

The database itself is 1.5GB in size, according to the dev, this is tiny and not an issue.
It contains 17 Tables with a total of 1'049'829 entries. The largest table has 725'148 entries.
The Valentina Server Version distributed with the most recent update is a version from 2013.

Has anyone every heard of behaviour like this in regards to valentina-db?
And does anyone know, if updating the Valentina Server to a more recent version could help with this?

I'm really sorry to bother you with this.
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Ruslan Zasukhin Accepted Answer
Hi Manuel,

we will discuss your questions asap.
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Ruslan Zasukhin Accepted Answer
Question - this behavior was from the start or it happened "not so far"?


I wonder if you have tech guys which can try to do these:

* try to diagnose your Valentina DB.
* try to clone that db

You can use free Valentina studio from our site.
You need to get a free serial for it also.

Please make backups always.

To make diagnose - connect to server from vstudio, and do Diagnose for your db.
In the text file check results first of all.
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Manuel Meier Accepted Answer
Dear Ruslan
Thank you for your reply and your tipps.
I've downloaded and installed valentina studio, made a backup of the entire DB-folder, ran Studio, connected to the DB and ran a test with normal verbose level.
There were problems found, I've attached the results to this message.

I've also tried cloning the database, which took a while (about 25 minutes), but was successful in the end.
I then ran another diagnostic on the DB-Clone, which was done much quicker and did not report any errors or problems, I've also attached the report.

I've also compared the file sizes from current to clone, the cloned DB is 200MB smaller. I checked some of the tables, and it appears that every cloned table is a bit smaller than the original, but contains the same amount of entries.
As I've created a backup of the original, I think my next test should be to make another clone after the last client has shut down and then try to connect the cloned and cleaned DB to the software, or do you think that would be unwise?
Attachments (3)
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Ruslan Zasukhin Accepted Answer
Hi,

right. Idea is to put cloned db under server, when you can do this,
and see if this resolves your issue.
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Manuel Meier Accepted Answer
Dear Ruslan
I forgot to answer your initial question, I apologize. This behaviour (lag/freeze on clients 2-4 when doing something on client 1) is not new and has been like this for the last 4 years.
The increased issue when working from an external client is new, but probably just because we never tried this.

I now tried connecting the cloned DB to the software and unfortunately, it did not work due to version conflicts.
When opening the DB in Studio, I was asked to update the DB from version 2.70 to 2.90. The software where the DB is used does unfortunately not support newer DB-versions and immediately crashed on startup after showing the version conflict. I have reset everything to the previous state.

is there a way to prevent the update from 2.7 to 2.9?
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
I suggest you download an older version of Studio.
See
http://valentina-db.com/download/prev_releases/

But I don't know in witch version Valentina update from 2.7 to 2.9. I suggest you take the same version as your dll file/valentina plugin ADK.

best regards
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :
  • 1


There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.

Categories

Announcements & News
  1. 0 subcategories
Valentina Studio
  1. 2 subcategories
Valentina Server
  1. 4 subcategories
Valentina Database ADK
  1. 0 subcategories
Valentina Reports ADK
  1. 0 subcategories
Other Discussions
  1. 2 subcategories
BETA Testing
  1. 0 subcategories
Education & Research
  1. 0 subcategories